Rajagopal walks out in Assembly over Malappuram blast

BJP member O. Rajagopal announcing his walkout on Nov. 2Thiruvananthapuram: BJP member O. Rajagopal walked out of the Assembly on Wednesday saying that the government was taking bomb blast in Malappuram and attempts to foment communal tensions lightly.

The BJP member staged the walkout after the Speaker P. Sreeramakrishnan denied permission to move an adjournment motion given notice of by P. Ubaidulla (Muslim League).

Mr. Rajagopal said that the bomb blast was much more serious than a usual crime. Deliberate attempt was being made to foment communal tensions. But the government was treating it as just a crime.

Chief Minister Pinarai Vijayan said that the police took the matter seriously. There was no doubt that the blast disturbs peace.  A few similar incidents had happened in Kollam and elsewhere.  Those behind the blasts were yet to be identified.

He said that a  special team had been deputed to investigate the blast. A box labelled ‘base movement’ had been recovered from the site (Malappuram collectorate).

Both Mr. Vijayan and Opposition Leader Ramesh Chennithala said that the State should fight the menace unitedly.

The Opposition Leader said that the blast was intended not to kill but to terrify people. There was no point in deputing the same team that failed to detect the Kollam bomb blast to probe the Malappuram blast also.

He also called for strengthening of intelligence gathering.

Mr. Ubaidulla said that ‘base movement’, if present in Kerala, should be rooted out. Malappuram was a place where peace had prevailed even when Babri Masjid was destroyed. Attempts to disturb peace should be nipped in the bud. The police should be given a free hand to conduct an independent investigation.

Advertisment